Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Tin Can Luminaries (12 Days of Green Christmas Crafts)


I have to tell you a secret: I don't love doing crafts. I love the idea of doing crafts, but I wish I had an assistant to do the dirty work for me sometimes. Don't get me wrong--there are certain things I love to do, like work with fabric and paint. But when it comes to other media, I get less than excited.

But I was inspired by my DelMonte organic tomato cans. They are copper on the inside, and they are really pretty, so I decided to try my hand at some tin can luminaries. They sounded pretty easy: just tap some holes into a tin can with a nail.

Not so much, Martha Stewart.

First of all, this is what you'll need (empty food cans, a hammer, and a nail):

Then, all you need to do is hammer a design into the can with the nail. It's not as easy as you would think. You need about 5 hands. I tried it like this:

That didn't work. So I decided to put the can in my vise. The reason I hadn't done that yet is because this is what my vise looks like. Try to find it.

It was much easier to do in the vice. But since the can is flexible, I rested it on top of the vise or it would have fallen through every time I hammered it. I set the vise just narrower than the can. It didn't take long to quickly hammer out a star design.

Done!
The can on the left has a lot more holes, and it also has a real tea
light in it. The ones on the right have a battery-operated one,
which is not as bright.


Check out some of the other 12 Days of Green Christmas Crafts:

December 14: 
Felt Owl Ornaments
December 15:
Burlap Ruffled Tree Skirt
December 16:
Easy Advent Calendars
Easy Advent Calendars
December 17:
Quick Gift Tags from
Kids' Artwork
December 18:
Homemade Holiday
Banner
December 19:
Torn Paper
Snowman
December 20:
Book Paper
Christmas Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment